Summer Spare the Air alerts are triggered by concentrations of ground-level ozone pollution reaching an unhealthy level, usually brought on by clear skies, hot temperatures, and light winds. Residents are encouraged to drive less and reduce their energy use tomorrow and every day so pollution levels are lower, preventing health alerts when temperatures are high.
BAAQMD encourages everyone to help prevent smog tomorrow by:
1) Avoid driving your car. Instead, take public transit, join a carpool, bicycle or walk. Another option is to link errands to minimize driving. Go to 511.org for transit details;
2) Don’t use gasoline-powered lawn and garden equipment;
3) Don’t use lighter fluid on the barbeque;
4) Reduce household energy use; and
5) Avoid using aerosol spray cleaners, paints and hairspray.
For more information about Spare the Air alerts, please visit www.sparetheair.org. Visit the Apple App Store to download a FREE Spare the Air iPhone application for alert notifications, local air quality forecasts, podcasts and several tools to help reduce air pollution!
Thank you for making clean air choices every day!