Halloween is a fun and exciting holiday for kids and adults alike. To ensure that everyone has an enjoyable time celebrating, Dublin Police Services and the City of Dublin would like to offer tips to keep everyone safe:
- A responsible adult should always accompany children while trick-or-treating.
- Trick-or-treat in a familiar neighborhood, and only approach well-lit homes.
- Do not take shortcuts through backyards or alleys when trick-or-treating.
- Children should never eat any treats until they have been examined by an adult.
- Advise children to never enter a stranger's home nor accept rides from a stranger.
- Carry a flashlight while trick-or-treating.
- Keep pets inside your home or other safe place on Halloween.
- Set a specific time limit for your older children to be out on Halloween. No one should trick-or-treat alone.
- Realistic-looking toy guns should never be used.
- Masks should not be worn if they impair a child's vision.
- Children should always use sidewalks, not the street, for walking.
- Trick-or-treaters should look in all directions before crossing the street.
- Make sure that pathways to your home are well lit and free of obstructions for other trick-or-treaters.
- Wear reflective tape or markings on costumes.
Dublin Police will host a fun, safe "Trunk or Treat" event on Saturday, October 28, 5:00 to 9:00 p.m., at Emerald Glen Park (4201 Central Parkway). Come in costume and enjoy the festivities!