Alameda County Public Health Department has announced that the Pfizer vaccine for COVID-19 has been proven safe for children, ages 12 and up. The written consent of a parent or guardian will be required at the time of appointment registration and the physical presence of a parent or guardian at time of vaccination is preferred.
On May 12, both the Centers for Disease Controls (CDC) Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices and the Western States Scientific Safety Review (WSSSR) both agreed that the Pfizer vaccine can be safely administered to children, ages 12 and older, to prevent severe illness and death from COVID-19.
The vaccine will be available at some providers immediately and will become available soon at others.
- Visit MyTurn.CA.gov to find clinics and pharmacies that are offering the Pfizer vaccine and have open appointments for patients 12 and older.
- Reach out to your health care provider to see when they will begin vaccinating youth, ages 12-15.
- Stanford Children’s Health at the Alameda County Fairgrounds in Pleasanton (Drive-Through Only): Tuesday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland (BCHO) will begin vaccinating the 12-15-year-old age group on Thursday, May 13. All children and youth in the community, ages 12 to 21, are eligible for COVID-19 vaccination at BCHO. Patients 12 to 17 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or caregiver. Vaccines are administered in the BCH Oakland Outpatient Center, 747-52nd Street, Oakland; Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Saturday appointments may become available at a later date. To make an appointment, patients or caregivers should call (415) 514-1196, Monday through Saturday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., and Sunday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Alameda County’s Community Points of Dispensing (PODs) will start offering the Pfizer vaccine on Family Days, starting May 20. The Johnson & Johnson vaccine will also be available for anyone who is 18 and older. Parents, guardians, or caregivers will be able to make an appointment here: https://www.primarybio.com/r/alco-vax-signup or by calling 510-208-4VAX (4829).