As we head into the rainy season, the City of Dublin would like to provide residents with some safety tips to follow in the event of a severe storm. Now is the time to prepare - before the next big storm arrives.
- Keep your car fueled or, if electric, powered. If electric power is cut off, gas stations may not be operable.
- Keep your cell phone charged. Have a car charger on hand.
- Check your emergency supplies (first aid kit, essential medicines, cash, food, water, non-electric can opener, portable radio, flashlights, and spare batteries) and ensure they are in air-tight bags and in handy locations.
- Clear debris from storm drains. Keep a rake on hand to clear debris that may clog storm drains during rain storms.
- Secure or remove items that can blow around.
- Keep garbage cans and cars at least one foot from the curb to avoid blocking storm water flows.
Public Works offers free sandbags to Dublin businesses and residents who feel their property is threatened by flooding. Sandbags can be picked up from the City of Dublin Corporation Yard, located at 5709 Scarlett Court. A self-serve, sandbag-filling station with sand, shovels, and bags is also available if the pre-filled sandbags are gone. The City requests that businesses and residents limit the number of sandbags taken to 10 or fewer. Alameda County Public Works Agency also makes sandbags available at their Maintenance and Operations Corporation Yard at 4825 Gleason Drive.