Housing Element Update
The August 2023 update to the 2023-2031 Housing Element is available for review here.
On November 15, 2022, City Council adopted 1) the Housing Element and authorize Staff to submit the Housing Element to the California Department of Housing and Community Development for certification; 2) associated amendments to the General Plan, Eastern Dublin Specific Plan, Downtown Dublin Specific Plan; 3) amendments to the Planned Development Zoning for sites D-2 and E-2 at the Dublin Transit Center and Hacienda Crossings shopping center; and 4) an Initial Study/Negative Declaration. The City Council agenda and staff report may be viewed here.
On November 18, 2022, Staff submitted the Adopted 2023-2031 Housing Element to the California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) for review and certification. On January 17, 2023, HCD issued a letter to the City indicating that additional revisions were needed to fully comply with State Housing Element Law. Since that time, Staff has continued to work with HCD to address their comments. Updates to the Housing Element were submitted to HCD on March 7, 2023, April 25, 2023, and May 4, 2023.
The State of California requires that the City Council adopt a comprehensive, long-term General Plan for the physical development of the City. The Housing Element is one of seven mandated elements of the General Plan and must be updated every eight years to address existing and projected housing needs for all economic segments of the City. Housing need is determined through the Regional Housing Needs Allocation (RHNA) process as further described below.
The City's recently Adopted Housing Element for the 2023-2031 planning period must comply with State law to ensure that Dublin's policies and programs can accommodate estimated housing growth needs, also known as RHNA. The 2023-2031 Adopted Housing Element is currently pending certification by HCD.
Regional Housing Needs Allocation
The California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) determines the Regional Housing Needs Determination (RHND) for the nine-county Bay Area. The Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG) is tasked with creating a methodology for distributing the RHND across the Bay Area jurisdictions. The RHND for the Bay Area is 441,176 units.
Distribution of the RHND results in each jurisdiction's RHNA, which is the total number of housing units by income category (i.e., very-low, low, moderate, and above-moderate income), that the jurisdiction must plan for in the next Housing Element.
On December 16, 2021, the ABAG Executive Board adopted the Final Regional Housing Needs Allocation Plan: San Francisco Bay Area, 2023-2031, which is the final step in ABAG's RHNA process that began in October 2019. The plan allocates 3,719 units of housing to the City of Dublin. The table below shows the final distribution of housing units to Dublin by household income category.
|Very Low Income||Low Income||Moderate Income||Above Moderate Income||Total Units|
Each local government in the Bay Area, including the City of Dublin, must now update the Housing Element of its General Plan to demonstrate how it can accommodate its RHNA. The Housing Element Updates must be adopted by the City Council and submitted to HCD for certification by January 31, 2023.
- Revised 2023-2031 Housing Element, dated August 2023
- Revised 2023-2031 Housing Element, dated May 2023
- Revised 2023-2031 Housing Element, dated April 2023
- Revised 2023-2031 Housing Element, dated February 27, 2023
- HCD's comments, dated January 17, 2023
- City Council Staff Report - November 15, 2022: 2023-2031 Housing Element, and related amendments to the General Plan, Downtown Dublin Specific Plan and Eastern Dublin Specific Plan, and Planned Development Zoning for Dublin Transit Center Sites D-2 and E-2 and Hacienda Crossings shopping center
- Planning Commission Staff Report - October 25, 2022: 2023-2031 Housing Element, and related amendments to the General Plan, Downtown Dublin Specific Plan and Eastern Dublin Specific Plan, and Planned Development Zoning for Dublin Transit Center Sites D-2 and E-2 and Hacienda Crossings shopping center
- Revised 2023-2031 Housing Element, dated October 18, 2022
- Initial Study / Negative Declaration
- HCD's Comments, dated August 29, 2022
- Revised Draft 2023-2031 Housing Element, dated August 15, 2022
- appears to be an empty link with target /DocumentCenter/View/30620/Draft-2023-2031-Housing-Element- Draft 2023-2031 Housing Element, dated May 27, 2022
- City Council Staff Report - May 17, 2022: Draft 2023-2031 Housing Element
- Planning Commission Staff Report - April 26, 2022: Draft 2023-2031 Housing Element
- Public Review Draft 2023-2031 Housing Element appears to be an empty link with target /DocumentCenter/View/30257/Draft-2023-2031-Housing-Element-
- City Council Staff Report - March 15, 2022: Housing Element Update Check-in
- Planning Commission Staff Report - March 8, 2022: Housing Element Update Study Session. appears to be an empty link with target https://granicus_production_attachments.s3.amazonaws.com/dublin/d218334813b7083404d25d4c08cb357e0.pdf
- Housing Element Update Survey Results