Crime Prevention Tips
Please review the following brochures to find out how you can keep your home and community safe:
When busy people are out shopping, it is easy to be forgetful about personal property and safety. As a result, people are especially vulnerable to theft and other crimes. It is important to report suspicious activity to the police department and to remember the following shopping safety tips:
- When shopping, park your car in a well-lit area.
- Do not leave packages, shopping bags or valuables in plain view inside your car.
- Lock your packages and other valuables in your vehicle's trunk. If your car does not have a trunk, be certain valuables are out of sight or concealed so they cannot be easily identified.
- While inside stores, never place packages on floors or counters or leave them unattended when purchasing additional items.
- Parked cars should have all windows tightly closed and all doors locked. Always have your car keys readily available in your hand before you walk to your car, and scan interior of car to be sure no one is hiding inside.
- Always be aware of your surroundings. Be cautious of strangers approaching you for any reason. Criminals may try various methods of distraction with the intent of taking money or belongings.
- Women should carry purses under their arms, and men should carry wallets in an inside coat pocket or front pants pocket.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash. Whenever possible, pay for purchases with checks or credit cards.